Spring in the Basque Country, Part Two



    All week I have been trying to post some more photos of our trip, but we have been so busy that it has not been possible until today. Our trip has come to an end and has left a bittersweet feeling in me once again. We walked in the door about an hour ago and immediately, I had to open a jar of white asparagus just to remember the feeling of home again.

    It is hard for me to summarize all the places we visited because there are so many. So many places, people, parks, restaurants, coffee shops...



    Last Tuesday, after C arrived, we took a day trip to Donostia-San Sebastian upon his request. That's where we spent part of our honeymoon so he always likes to go back and visit the old part of town Alde Zaharra for some pintxo and txakoli time.

    It was a cold day, but we managed to get a few rays of sunshine here and there. We visited Galparsoro Okindegia for some organic rustic bread and brioche, of course and then headed into the old quarters for some pintxos. My favorite spot Aralar was closed, which was a bit disappointing, but managed to find a couple of good places along the way.

    We also stopped at the farmer's market where we got the best tomatoes I have had in a long time, some small but excellent organic lettuces, flat green beans and cheeses. The flower stands were also full of color and beauty.



    There was a lot of walking and hiking and although we were hoping to go mushroom picking, the weather had been too cold. Plenty of rain, but a bit more sunshine and warmth were needed. We were really looking forward to that since my dad is a wild mushroom connoisseur and gatherer.

    The boys spent one of the only sunny and warm days in Urkiola and Oleta walking around and sitting under enormous trees.



    We also made it to the Guggenheim although we spent more time outside in the gigantic playground than inside. I love photographing the building and the river next to it on grey days. The titanium takes on a coppery sheen that is hard to describe.

    And finally I had to share some photos of some delicious traditional Basque dishes. On our last day, we had a 4-hour family lunch at Juantxu Jatetxea a very traditional restaurant in my hometown. I couldn't leave home without eating kokotxas al pil pil, salpicon de marisco or langostinos a la plancha.



    I always come back exhausted yet re-energized and full of inspiration. I will share more thoughts and recipes soon. Thank you!


Post Title

Spring in the Basque Country, Part Two


Post URL

http://mercymadame.blogspot.com/2009/05/spring-in-basque-country-part-two.html


Visit Merci Madame for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List