Lemon and Buttermilk Sherbet, Stewed Rhubarb and Financiers



    We have had gorgeous sunny and breezy weather these past few days. The first stalks of rhubarb also showed up at the produce stands really showcasing the best of Spring.



    Easter Sunday, after the neighborhood egg hunt with all our friends, we had a quiet dinner at home with my parents. We churned a small batch of one of my all time favorite sherbets, David's lemon and buttermilk sherbet. I tried it a couple of years ago for the first time and it's one of the first things I crave when warm weather arrives. So simple, creamy and refreshing.



    We took a long walk before dinner. I thought the sherbet would go perfectly with the rhubarb we had stewed that morning. Rhubarb is not something I grew up with, but I have grown to love it very much. I clearly remember the first time I ever had it when C. and I went on a camping trip to Glacier National Park and had one of the best rhubarb pies I have had in my life. One of those that sets the bar too high.

    I had some leftover egg whites I needed to use up after our last pots de creme, so we also made financiers. Fragrant batter of toasted almond meal, quinoa, brown butter and some of the stewed rhubarb.



    Stewed Rhubarb

    225 grams rhubarb
    60 grams sugar
    1 lemon, juice and zest


    Cut the rhubarb into pieces and toss them with sugar, lemon juice and zest. Cook for about 5 minutes until soft. Do not cook it to mush and keep pieces whole.


    Rhubarb Financiers

    120 grams whites
    125 grams sugar
    Zest of half a lemon
    55 grams almond flour, toasted
    55 grams quinoa flour
    150 grams butter, browned
    100 grams stewed rhubarb, strained


    Brown the butter, strain it and let it cool. Toast the almond flour at 350F for about 5 minutes and let it cool.

    Whisk together the egg whites with sugar and lemon zest. Add the dry ingredients and whisk. Add the cooled brown butter and whisk until all incorporated. Fold in the rhubarb.

    Let the batter set in the refrigerator for about 4 hours or overnight.

    Pipe into molds and bake at 350F until golden brown on top.


Post Title

Lemon and Buttermilk Sherbet, Stewed Rhubarb and Financiers


Post URL

http://mercymadame.blogspot.com/2010/04/lemon-and-buttermilk-sherbet-stewed.html


Visit Merci Madame for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List