The Smells of Pears, Hazelnuts, Brown Butter and Vanilla Bean



    It was some time last week. Early morning. I woke up and headed outside to water my plants when suddenly, I realized... autumn had arrived. It was sunny, yet cool and brisk, just like those perfect Florida winter days. I opened all the windows for the first time in weeks. The best feeling in the world.



    It took me a few days to really come down from the high of BlogHer Food and I have really been lying low.

    San Francisco was wonderful. I really didn't have much of a chance to socialize as I had M. with me and late night parties were just not going on the agenda for us this time. But it was great to spend time with dear friends (old and new), eat some fantastic chilaquiles and sing lots of monkey songs with this little girl.



    And so this week, with the cool breeze coming in, I wanted to fill the house with smells of autumn. Sweet, toasty and nutty smells of brown butter, toasted hazelnuts, cinnamon sugar coated cakes... All those wonderful smells I'm sure you know too.



    First, pears and raspberries with a hazelnut and oat crumble topping, because it's one of the easiest desserts to make.

    And then, pear, hazelnut and brown butter cakes. In fact, I'm just enjoying the last one of the cakes while I type this.

    Can you smell them yet?



    Oh and one more wonderful act of kindness... A few weeks ago, I stumbled upon this blog by prop stylist Paula Walters. We started talking, one thing led to another and the next thing I know, there are some wonderful vintage cooling racks in the mail for me. Awesomeness. Thank you Paula!

    Pear, Hazelnut and Brown Butter Cakes

    makes a dozen mini bundtcakes

    1 cup (125 grams) superfine brown rice flour
    1/2 cup (50 grams) hazelnut flour
    2 Tbs (20 grams) tapioca starch
    1/8 tsp xanthan gum
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    10 Tbs (140 grams) unsalted butter, browned
    1/3 cup (85 grams) brown sugar
    1/3 cup (100 grams) maple syrup
    1 vanilla bean, split and seeded
    2 eggs
    2 pears, grated
    1 cup (200 grams) superfine sugar
    1 tsp cinnamon


    Place the butter in a small saucepan and cook it until the milk solids start to turn brown on the bottom of the pan and smells nutty. Strain it and let it cool slightly.

    In a large bowl, whisk together the first seven ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, maple syrup, eggs and vanilla bean. Add the cooled brown butter and whisk. Add the liquids to the dry ingredients and whisk until incorporated. Fold in the grated pears.

    Divide the batter in the mini bundt pan mold. Bake at 350F for about 20 minutes.

    Let them cool for a couple of minutes in the pan. Remove the cakes from the pan and toss them in the cinnamon sugar.

Post Title

The Smells of Pears, Hazelnuts, Brown Butter and Vanilla Bean


Post URL

http://mercymadame.blogspot.com/2010/10/smells-of-pears-hazelnuts-brown-butter.html


Visit Merci Madame for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List