The autumn light and colors of Vermont



    Ever since our time in Vermont this summer, I have been dreaming about returning. "You would love it so much", I told my dad over the phone. He loves nature like I do. Rivers and forests are where he feels most at ease, so I knew it would be a gift to him to spend time there. I asked Nadia if we could visit once again to witness the foliage and quickly made arrangements for our trip.

    I took the kids and my parents during what has to be the most beautiful time of the year. No question about it.



    Nadia and I had just arrived from our workshop in France. I had two days to recover, but Nadia had literally gotten off the plane when she came to pick us at the airport. "You must be exhausted" is the first thing I said to her. She smiled. I knew she was, but it was good exhaustion. She was beaming.

    As soon as we left the airport, I realized we had arrived at the peak of foliage. We couldn't have picked a better time.

    "Stop, stop right there" I shouted. I couldn't believe my eyes. Fire-colored trees lined by a lake on the side of the road made the most beautiful sight. We jumped off the car and ran to admire it. Breathtaking.



    The kids played with the dogs and fed the chickens and ducks. We took walks every morning stopping every minute to take it all in. My dad and I took over two thousand images of foliage, rivers and children playing.

    "When will we go to the pumpkin patch?" Jon asked over and over again. That was the one thing that he really wanted to do. "Don't worry. There will be plenty" Nadia reassured him. There were indeed. We visited a different pumpkin patch every day and they loved it.

    Rolled around the dried yellow leaves and laughed hard.



    We visited the Middlebury farmers' market on a Wednesday. Also stopped at Nadia's friend Ethan Mitchell's family farm where three generations live surrounded by trees and thirty sheep. I left so inspired once again.

    As we were driving around, Nadia pointed out the rivers and areas that had been affected by hurricane Irene. The damage was visible, but things were slowly coming back to normal. I saw the devastation in Williamstown where we had spent time this summer.



    Nadia cooked for us everyday. Red kuri squash and leek soup, roasted chicken with root vegetables, quinoa spaghetti with roasted squash and herbs, banana and quinoa bread and apple crisp with the apples we picked at her friend's orchard. We were so thankful for everything she did for us.

    My parents left eternally grateful and happy to know that I do indeed have great friends. I even spotted a tear in my mom's eye when she hugged Nadia goodbye. They were touched by her.



    So I left ready to come back. Another season perhaps.

    Vermont has stolen my heart.





    Thank you Nadia once again for your generosity and hospitality. We can't wait to come back. Oh and Nadia... Jon is still waiting for his slingshot. He loves you.

Post Title

The autumn light and colors of Vermont


Post URL

http://mercymadame.blogspot.com/2011/10/autumn-light-and-colors-of-vermont.html


Visit Merci Madame for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List