Lemons



    So I know I said that arroz con leche would be my next post but that was before I decided to make lemon bars. I went to the market today and I just couldn't let those lemons get away. They looked beautiful, plump and juicy and I had to get them. I love citrus and I live in Florida.


    I have a million recipes for lemon bars but I have to admit that this one from Magnolia Bakery is my favorite one. The short crust is as flaky as it gets, so delicate that is even hard to pick up. The filling is simple, creamy and tangy, just eggs, sugar and lemons.


    Lemon Bars from the Magnolia Bakery Cookbook

    Makes half a sheetpan

    For the crust:

    1 lb butter, room temperature
    1 cup powdered sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 tsp lemon zest
    4 cups all purpose flour


    In a mixer, cream butter and powdered sugar with paddle attachment. Add salt, lemon zest and the flour. Mix only until combined and crumbly.

    Spread soft dough onto the sheetpan, going up the sides and flattening it as much as possible. I use a sheet of parchment on top and the bottom of my measuring cup.

    Refrigerate the dough for about half an hour.

    Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes until golden.

    For the filling:

    3 cups sugar
    9 eggs
    1 1/2 cups fresh lemon juice
    9 tsp lemon zest (about 7-8 lemons)

    In a bowl, whisk eggs with sugar. Add zest and juice. Whisk until combined.

    Pour the custard into the baked crust, return to the oven and bake at 325 for another 25-30 minutes until the custard is set.

    I love these lemon bars warm out of the oven. The crust melts in your mouth!!

Post Title

Lemons


Post URL

http://mercymadame.blogspot.com/2008/01/lemons.html


Visit Merci Madame for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List