Sugar High at Turtle River Montessori and Blogging for Babies


    I have always been a conscious eater, trying to cook almost everything I eat myself, buying local as often as possible, etc. That's how I was raised. It was always a personal choice for me and never felt the need to have to convince others. Until I became a mother, that is. Having a child changed everything. I have become more socially conscious and I would say that I have become a crusader for better eating.

    When I see what children eat in most schools nowadays, I start to really worry and I do not want that for my son. Us, parents, have hectic lives and sometimes food becomes another thing to worry about and we choose to take the "easy route" by buying prepackaged foods. I am not saying I don't ever buy prepackaged foods, because I do, but I always read labels and try not to take too many shortcuts.

    I believe that healthy eating starts at home and children will do as they see and not as they are told. In that sense, I feel relief because I know that my children will learn to appreciate food because our family's love for it. I think there has to be a collective effort to really educate our children about food, where it comes from and good eating choices. Believe me, I am not talking about eating alfalfa sprouts or cardboard cookies. It's about the quality of ingredients, no matter whether it is chicken, tofu, ice cream, spinach or chocolate chip cookies.

    I made these mini carrot cupcakes thinking about Stella and her classmates at Turtle River Montessori. Stella is my 4-year old, cutie pie neighbor who loves school. Each day of the week, one child is responsible for bringing healthy snacks for the rest of the class. They rotate so this happens about once a month. The school asks that children bring fruits and other healthy foods.

    I wanted to make the snacks for Stella's class for the day she was the "snack girl". I wanted to show the kids that they can eat sweet treats that are made with wholesome and natural ingredients. So I decided to make mini carrot cupcakes with cream cheese icing. I used all organic and natural ingredients of course, even the sprinkles are made with beet juice!




    Carrot Cake

    Makes 6 dozen mini cupcakes

    12 oz organic demerara sugar
    9 oz sunflower oil
    4 organic eggs
    8 oz organic whole wheat flour
    0.2 oz baking soda
    0.2 oz aluminum free baking powder
    0.3 oz organic ground cinnamon
    0.2 oz organic vanilla extract
    13 oz organic carrots, peeled and shredded

    In the bowl of an electric mixer, whip the sugar with the eggs and the oil for about 5 minutes until the eggs start to turn a little pale. Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Fold in the shredded carrot. Pour batter into cupcake papers and bake at 350 degrees.


    Cream Cheese and Yogurt Icing

    1.5 lbs organic cream cheese, room temperature
    12 oz organic unsalted butter
    8 oz organic raw agave nectar
    5 oz organic whole milk yogurt
    1 tsp organic vanilla extract
    All natural pink sprinkles

    In a bowl of an electric mixer, cream the cream cheese, butter and agave nectar until all lumps have disappeared. make sure to scrape the bowl a couple of times. Add the yogurt and the vanilla extract and mix until incorporated. Ice the cupcakes and add tons of sprinkles!!!

    I was only able to photograph Stella eating them because when Stella's mom took the cupcakes to school, the teacher made the kids wait to eat them until recess. I really wanted some good, messy shots of the kids!

    Keeping with the children theme, I wanted to tell you about Blogging for Babies which is a blogging event to support the March of Dimes walk this April. Holly from Phe/Mom/enon contacted me about this, so I would like to submit these mini carrot cupcakes for her event.

    Read her inspiring story about baby Cole. Amazing!

Post Title

Sugar High at Turtle River Montessori and Blogging for Babies


Post URL

http://mercymadame.blogspot.com/2008/04/sugar-high-at-turtle-river-montessori.html


Visit Merci Madame for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List