Lemon Buttermilk Sherbet with Poppy Seed Ice Cream Cones


    I really have been in an ice cream mood lately. Well, I'm always in an ice cream mood, but I mean wanting to make my own ice cream at home. I don't have a very good ice cream machine and the end result is never quite as creamy as I would like it to be. Every time I walk into Sur La Table I look at this and this... I would love to have a commercial ice cream maker at home but in the meantime, I make it work with what I have which is similar to this, just an older model.



    I was reading through David Lebovitz's "Perfect Scoop" last night. I have had it for a while now but never made the time to really explore it as I like to. I just got sucked into it and I came across his Lemon Buttermilk Sherbet recipe. Sounded very refreshing and perfect for the next day since I was planning to take curly cues to the beach. The thought of coming home after a fun day at the beach and having some lemon and buttermilk sherbet sounded delightful.

    I thought it would be fun to make my own ice cream cones too which is super simple but I wanted to give it a little something different so I thought to make it with some lemon zest and poppyseeds. The recipes are so simple that I was able to do it all that night. I did have to let the simple syrup and the tuile paste rest in the fridge for a couple of hours but that's about it. I churned the sherbet, froze it and made about five mini ice cream cones and put them in an air-tight container until the next day.



    Lemon Buttermilk Sherbet

    adapted from David Lebovitz's "The Perfect Scoop"

    80 ml water
    130 grams sugar
    Zest of 1 lemon
    225 ml buttermilk
    60 ml lemon juice

    In a saucepan, bring the first three ingredients to a boil. Remove from heat, transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. Add the buttermilk and lemon juice once it has chilled in the fridge and churn in your ice cream machine. Transfer to a bowl or ice cream container and freeze.


    Poppy Seed Lemon Ice Cream Cones
    Makes a lot of paste so freeze whatever you have leftover
    50 grams butter
    50 grams sugar
    1/4 tsp lemon zest
    50 grams egg whites
    50 grams flour
    Poppyseeds

    Cream the butter, sugar and lemon zest. Add the flour and mix. Add the egg whites and mix until thoroughly combined. Transfer this paste to a bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.

    Make a template for your cones cutting circles out of a plastic placemat that is about 1/4" thick. Use a round cookie cutter to trace a circle on the mat and cut with the help of an xacto knife. Place the template mat on a silpat. Spread a very thin layer of the tuile paste on the circle and remove the mat. You will be left with a disk of tuile batter. Sprinkle poppyseeds on top of the batter.

    Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. remove from the oven and form a cone right away while the tuile is still hot and pliable. Store them in an airtight container until ready to use.



Post Title

Lemon Buttermilk Sherbet with Poppy Seed Ice Cream Cones


Post URL

http://mercymadame.blogspot.com/2008/04/lemon-buttermilk-sherbet-with-poppy.html


Visit Merci Madame for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List