Coconut, Strawberry, White Chocolate and Rhubarb Mousse Cake



    Sometimes the most unusual things inspire me to create a dessert. I have been obsessed with white lately, white on white with lots of texture. Textiles, paper, cheesecloth, birdcages, anything. I have really been getting inspired by Country Living magazine, which is an unusual choice for me because I am the antithesis of country, or at least what I thought country was. Anthropologie is another great source of inspiration. I have been shopping for clothes there for years but since I started photographing my food, I have become obsessed with their house wares and their displays. I walked in the store last week and saw a white and pink flower quilt that immediately inspired me to make this dessert.

    I envisioned a mousse cake with layers of white and pink mousse. Little girl tea party colors, distressed antique white coffee table, bruised up silver tray... I don't know if I have been able to transmit that feeling in my photos. I find very difficult to translate what is in my head onto a photograph but that's ok.. Once I take it, it’s up to you to create your own fantasy.

    This cake has five different layers and flavors and although it might seem difficult, it really isn’t because all mousse layers start with the same pate a bombe recipe and then flavored separately. Coconut dacquoise with strawberry, white chocolate and rhubarb mousse layers and covered with a thin layer of rhubarb jelly.





    Coconut Dacquoise

    Makes half sheetpan
    135 grams powdered sugar, sifted
    225 grams unsweetened coconut (fine)
    215 grams egg whites
    55 grams sugar

    Whip the egg whites until almost fully whipped. Slowly add the sugar and whip to a stiff meringue. Remove the bowl from the mixer and add the sifted powdered sugar and the coconut in two batches while gently folding. The meringue will deflate a little. Don't worry, it's normal.

    Pour the batter onto a half sheetpan lined with parchment paper and spread the batter evenly with an offset spatula. Bake at 375 until lightly golden brown. Let it cool.

    When ready to assemble the cake, place a square cake ring on top of the dacquoise and press down so it cuts into it. This is where we will build the mousse cake.

    Pate a Bombe

    8 oz sugar
    2 oz corn syrup
    4 oz water
    3 oz egg yolks

    Cook the sugar, corn syrup and water to 240 degrees Farenheit. In the meantime, whip the yolks until they turn fluffy and pale. Add the cooked sugar to the yolks and continue beating until light, thick and the bowl has cooled.

    Strawberry Mousse

    2 oz pate a bombe
    1 1/2 sheet of gelatin
    3 oz fresh strawberry puree (I left the seeds in)
    1 cup heavy cream, soft peak


    Mix the pate a bombe with the strawberry puree. Soften the gelatin in ice water and then gently melt it in the microwave (maybe 5 seconds). Mix into the pate a bombe and whisk until it is well incorporated. Fold in the whipped cream. Pour the mousse in the square cake pan that we have lined with the coconut dacquoise. Spread over the dacquoise evely. Place the sheetpan in the freezer so the mouuse hardens and we can add another layer.

    White Chocolate Mousse

    4 oz pate a bombe
    3 sheets of gelatin
    6 oz white chocolate, melted
    2 cups heavy cream, soft peak


    Repeat the same process as above. Make sure the white chocolate is pretty warm when adding it to the pate a bombe. If the bombe is cold, the chocolate will harden quickly and it will be lumpy. Pour over the strawberry mousse and spread evenly. Freeze.

    Rhubarb Mousse

    2 oz pate a bombe
    1 1/2 sheet of gelatin
    3 oz poached rhubarb puree
    1 cup heavy cream, soft peak


    Same procedure as above. Pour over the white chocolate mousse and spread evenly. Freeze.

    I topped the mousse with a super thin layer of rhubarb jelly, coconut and grated dried raspberries.

    Fluffy... and light are the words that describe this cake best... love Spring.

Post Title

Coconut, Strawberry, White Chocolate and Rhubarb Mousse Cake


Post URL

http://mercymadame.blogspot.com/2008/04/coconut-strawberry-white-chocolate-and.html


Visit Merci Madame for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List