A New York Kind of Weekend, Part I



    This past weekend, I flew out to New York City for my second Sunday Suppers dinner where I was featured as a guest chef. It was a weekend full of food, friends, laughs and sunshine and I couldn't be more thankful for all of it. The amount of time and dedication that goes into it is unbelievable, but so worth it and I can't thank Karen and Casey enough for their support and friendship.

    I will share photos of the actual Sunday Suppers dinner soon, but first I thought I'd share with you some of my favorite images from the day before the dinner at the farmer's market at Union Square. I wanted to cry it was so beautiful.



    Before I left for New York, my dear friend Deb offered me to stay at her apartment in Greenpoint, Brooklyn while she was away on vacation. She is one of the most generous and warm hearted people I have ever met and I will be eternally grateful to her for many reasons. I ended up staying in her super cute, vintage Greenpoint apartment with her two kitties Icky and Max who kept me company.



    I flew out to New York on Friday morning. This time around, I really wanted to have a day off to enjoy the city and have some quality time with friends.

    I had a three course dessert menu planned for Sunday and lots of prep to do. As soon as I arrived in the city, I headed over to Karen's for a five hour prep session where I got so much done. That always feels great and then had the rest of the night to enjoy dinner with my dear friend Amy Atlas.

    She made a reservation at Dos Caminos in SoHo. We talked about life, work, motherhood... and how to balance it all. She is warm, generous, funny, sincere and I am so thankful our paths connected. It was an amazing evening. Thank you Amy!

    Sweet Karen Mordechai

    The next morning, Karen, Casey and I headed to the Union Square farmer's market to shop for some of the ingredients for the dinner. It was a joy to be there even in the middle of a heat wave. The produce, flowers, dairy farmers, organic growers, wild game, fish... It was a food lovers dream and reminded me very much of the markets back home.

    I found the most beautiful and sweet tiny strawberries, red currants and purple blossoms for the berry consomme and lemon champagne sorbet pre-dessert I was going to have the next day. Marigolds and greens for one of Casey's salads, garlic blossoms for the couscous salad, the sweetest and tiniest tomatoes and crates and crates of so much more... A dream.

    After the farmer's market, we had lunch at Pastis and then, Casey and I headed to Chelsea Market for some more shopping and gelato. She and I walked around for a bit, visited New York Cake and Baking, laughed, walked down a street fair, laughed some more. It was the perfect ending to a perfect New York day if you ask me.

    Photo by Karen Mordechai Photography

    There was quite of bit of traveling this summer for me, but this will be my last trip in a few months because as you can see in the last photo, there is a baby growing in my belly and yes, I am getting bigger and bigger everyday. I am just happy I got to do this before life gets a bit crazier.

    And to top it all off, Amy finally convinced me of the wonders of Twitter so I'm finally on and you can follow me here. Hope you had a great weekend too!


Post Title

A New York Kind of Weekend, Part I


Post URL

http://mercymadame.blogspot.com/2009/08/new-york-kind-of-weekend-part-i.html


Visit Merci Madame for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List