A Sunday Trip to the Farmers Market and Eggs for Brunch



    A couple of days ago, I was thinking that if there is one single food item I could not live without, that must be eggs. I am a person of habits and my oatmeal and one egg every morning is one of those things I would not want to change.

    Fresh farm eggs are a luxury these days. Even back home where we grew up eating my grandparents' chickens' eggs, it is difficult to find someone to buy eggs from. So when I went to our farmers market a couple of weeks ago and found a stand with fresh farm eggs, I almost started to cry. I was so excited. It's crazy how our food culture has changed. The carton of eggs said "Fresh Farm Eggs - Not For Human Consumption". If this is not crazy, I don't know what is.



    I love to discover new ingredients and to talk to the farmers about their qualities and how to cook them. Farmer Sal from Varri Green Farm had the most beautiful greens I have ever seen. Yu choy sum they are called. I had never tasted them and talked to him about his favorite way to prepare them. "Sauteed in olive oil and garlic", he said.



    I was carrying M. in the front carrier so I was limited with how much food I could buy, but I came home with the eggs, yu choy sum, Sicilian eggplants, shallots, beans, tomatoes, strawberries, rainbow chard and a pot of garlic chives. Next time, I am bringing the stroller so I can use it as a grocery cart.

    I made a mid morning snack for all of us. Sauteed some of the greens with shallots and scrambled some eggs into them. Finished all with the yu choy sum flowers, garlic chives and served it on C's toasted sourdough bread. I have to tell you, the man knows how to make a good loaf of bread. Now I just have to convince him to try his hand at a gluten free version.

Post Title

A Sunday Trip to the Farmers Market and Eggs for Brunch


Post URL

http://mercymadame.blogspot.com/2010/02/sunday-trip-to-farmers-market-and-eggs.html


Visit Merci Madame for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List