Gluten Free Lemon and Almond Meltaways



    We went on a camping trip this past weekend. It had been almost a year since we had done so and it was about time. I was a little bit nervous about how I would manage with M., but it turned out to be a great experience. A cold one, very cold one, but fun.

    We brought all kinds of food and goodies. We always have to have cookies and snacks when we go camping. Plenty of cookies, hot chocolate, s'mores... Sandies and meltaways are a favorite in our house. I think the extra powdered sugar makes everyone giddy.



    You might be wondering why I am baking so many gluten free desserts now. What happened to Cannelle Et Vanille, you might be wondering. Well, I am currently having all kinds of blood drawn and lots of tests done, all to try to find out the root cause of all my autoimmune disorders. Yes, all. There are several and not fun. Gluten intolerance might be one of the causes and so while I wait for my results, we are living gluten free.

    If you know anyone with inexplicable health problems, chances are they have an immune disorder. My mom teases me because talking about the immune system has turned out to be one of my favorite topics lately. It's worth exploring to say the least. This is a great resources right here and great, great article here.



    I am loving testing old recipes with new flours and trying to make adjustments. These cookies were so easy to adjust that I got them right on the first batch. I promise you they will not disappoint. They melt in your mouth and no one will ever know they are gluten free.



    Gluten Free Lemon and Almond Meltaways

    115 grams buter
    95 grams powdered sugar
    Zest of 2 lemons
    2 Tbs lemon juice
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    100 grams sweet rice flour
    40 grams cornstarch
    35 grams sorghum flour
    20 grams amaranth flour
    20 grams almond flour
    1/2 tsp salt


    Cream the butter, powdered sugar and lemon zest together. Add the lemon juice and mix. Combine all the dry ingredients and add them to the mixer. Cream until all comes together.

    Transfer the dough to a sheet of parchment and shape it into a log that is about 2 inches in diameter. Use the parchment to tighten the log and form a nice cylinder.

    Refrigerate the dough for at least 2 hours.

    Cut the log into 1/4 inch thick disks. Place these on a baking sheet lined with parchment and bake at 350F for about 12 minutes. Let them cool on the baking sheet.

    When they have cooled a bit but they are still warm, covered them in powdered sugar.

Post Title

Gluten Free Lemon and Almond Meltaways


Post URL

http://mercymadame.blogspot.com/2010/02/gluten-free-lemon-and-almond-meltaways.html


Visit Merci Madame for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List