Cherry Blossom Doughnuts and the Smells of Spring



    Spring is only days away and I can feel it in the air. Longer days spent outside, trees blooming, the anticipation of egg hunts and beautiful produce in our market mark the beginning of one of my favorite times of year. Even though we are lucky to have gorgeous winter weather, I always look forward to Spring and its bounty.

    I remember the park in my hometown lined with rows of endless blooming tress. Pinks, purples and greens so vibrant with crisp mornings and morning dew.



    A few days ago, I received a wonderful package all the way from Japan from fellow food blogger Chika of the beautiful She Who Eats. It was filled with all things cherry blossom. Sakura extract, sakura sugar, freeze dried sakura, preserved sakura... I am not a big fan of floral scents and flavors, but this sakura extract is surprisingly mild and fresh.

    Chika was telling me about how the japanese love their sakura confections. I have always wanted to travel to Japan, but that particular conversation really revived my curiosity. Japanese patisserie is really turning into something very, very exciting that I would like to experience soon. Soon, I hope.



    This is a gluten free doughnut recipe based on my pumpkin and hazelnut doughnuts that I posted a few months ago. They are scented with lemon zest and cherry blossom extract and rolled in cherry blossom sugar while warm. I am keeping this one for another day after I tweak it a little bit more, but I also found a great looking recipe over here.

Post Title

Cherry Blossom Doughnuts and the Smells of Spring


Post URL

http://mercymadame.blogspot.com/2010/03/cherry-blossom-doughnuts-and-smells-of.html


Visit Merci Madame for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List