Lemon, Pistachio and Millet Cakes



    The one thing I am really enjoying about eating gluten-free is all the new grains and flours I get to experiment with. I have actually been baking much more now than I did before. Everyday, we try something new. I am running out of space in my pantry for all the flours and new ingredients I have been baking with. It was only a couple of years ago when my friend Jill was asking me to start baking more allergen-free desserts. I suppose I should have listened better.



    I have made these lemon, pistachio and millet cakes about a dozen times now. I am not exaggerating. They are moist, light, full of citrus flavor and the crumb is amazing with all the green pistachios in there. I cannot get enough of them and I try to keep some in the freezer for those times that we have a cake craving or need a treat to pack for the day.

    My parents are coming tonight and I saved some of these for them for tomorrow morning. Breakfast is our favorite meal of the day when my mom and I seat down and enjoy every morsel. I think she will be pleased with these.



    I also wanted to share with you a little interview I did with Kate Manchester for Edible Radio last week. I was very nervous and I think it shows. I always get nervous speaking in public, even if it's over the phone. You can listen to the full interview here.

    Gluten Free Lemon, Pistachio and Millet Cakes

    Makes about 14 regular size cupcakes plus 20 mini tea cakes

    115 grams butter
    180 grams sugar
    Zest 2 lemons
    2 eggs
    80 grams yogurt
    80 grams millet flour
    70 grams pistachio meal
    30 grams sweet rice flour
    3/4 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp xanthan gum
    1/2 tsp salt


    Cream the butter, sugar and lemon zest together until light. Add the eggs one at a time and scrape the bowl well. Add the yogurt and mix until all ingredients are well incorporated. Add all the dry ingredients and mix until it comes together.

    Scoop the batter into the cupcake cups or pipe into mini tea cake pan. Bake at 350F until done.

Post Title

Lemon, Pistachio and Millet Cakes


Post URL

http://mercymadame.blogspot.com/2010/03/lemon-pistachio-and-millet-cakes.html


Visit Merci Madame for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List