Strawberries, Sheep's Milk and a Tart



    One of the things I miss the most about Spring time in the Basque Country is ewe's milk. Every year around April or May, it was the time when my uncle's ewes would give birth. We would go watch them in the afternoons as they grazed around the pastures behind his house.

    This is the time we enjoyed fresh, raw milk for a few months. Jars of homemade mamia with honey were our dessert of choice. Maybe a little compote once in a while, but we mostly kept it plain.



    And even to this day, years later, my uncle continues taking care of his sheep and every Spring, the same craving returns. I cannot stop thinking about fresh sheep's milk.

    I have been searching for a supplier in our area, but it seems like that is an impossible task. Perhaps Florida doesn't have the grass and terrain needed to raise sheep. I wish I could drive up to New England or California and bring some back with me.



    For those of you who have never had sheep's milk, it is rich and contains more protein, more milk solids and yes, fat than cow or goat milk. It is creamy and sweet and in my opinion, milder than goat milk. Such a distinct flavor and I miss it terribly.



    Our market does carry a brand of sheep's milk yogurt, which is great and used it in this super simple strawberry and sheep's milk frozen yogurt that I made with strawberries from our farmers market. Only four ingredients and the result is refreshing and so creamy.

    The tarts were a last minute treat for the day my parent left to go back home. Strawberries with hazelnut frangipane and quinoa pate brisee.



    My parents have been great house guests the last few weeks and I can't wait until I see them again this summer. We will definitely miss them.Oh this summer, I can't wait. So many travel plans and so little time.

    Strawberry and Sheep's Milk Frozen Yogurt

    500 grams strawberries, hulled and sliced
    125 grams sugar
    Juice of half a lemon
    350 grams sheep's milk yogurt


    Toss the sliced strawberries and sugar together in a bowl. Let the strawberries macerate in the refrigerator for s couple of hours or until the juices start to release and sugar dissolves. Add the lemon juice and puree the entire mixture. Whisk in the sheep's milk yogurt and freeze in ice cream machine. Store in freezer.

Post Title

Strawberries, Sheep's Milk and a Tart


Post URL

http://mercymadame.blogspot.com/2010/05/strawberries-sheep-milk-and-tart.html


Visit Merci Madame for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List