Fighting the Heat with a Honeydew, Mint and Lemon Thyme Soup



    It has been incredibly hot and humid in the Southeast this past week. I have a bit of a bad habit of constantly checking my weather app in my phone to see what the actual heat index is. A bad habit I should stop since there is nothing I can do about the weather anyway. Just accept it.

    Soaring temperatures and humidity make me want to stay inside, drink ice cold lemonade and snack on refreshing fruit salads.



    Every year when August comes around, I start thinking about our childhood camping trips. My parents had the entire month of August off and we would pack the family camper and spend the first half the month in the mountains and the second, at the beach.

    We would take day trips in the surrounding areas and I remember my dad always stopping at local produce stands to get a whole melon as a snack. We would just find a place to sit, cut the melon into wedges and eat it in silence. We seem to do that a lot in my family. Sit, eat and look around.



    There really isn't anything better to fight the heat than some cold soup. Sweet honeydew melon, a little cucumber, squeeze of lemon juice and lots of mint and lemon thyme from my herb pots. Super simple, but perfect to fight this summer heat. I also made some savory crackers with lots of crispy jamon serrano, pink peppercorns and lemon thyme.



    Actually I have to tell you that I loved this so much that I will be making it when I appear on the Basque cooking show Robin Food. We will be recording it next month when we go back home. I am excited to meet David de Jorge and very anxious at the same time. Those who know me well know how I always shy away from cameras and I have a shaky voice when I have to speak in public. So stay tuned for that one!

Post Title

Fighting the Heat with a Honeydew, Mint and Lemon Thyme Soup


Post URL

http://mercymadame.blogspot.com/2010/07/fighting-heat-with-honeydew-mint-and.html


Visit Merci Madame for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List