An Easy and Quick Late Summer Lunch



    Although we have not had a break from the heat and autumn is far from showing its first signs, I feel excited about the new season and being able to sleep with our windows open. School started and we are now back into a routine (after a week of miserable jet-lag, that is). I like routine, I thrive on it. So I always like to have my meals planned out and my life scheduled around them.

    I take after my mom on this one.



    September is shaping up to be a very busy month with a couple of time consuming projects one after another. When I'm busy, I try to cook quick and healthful meals. I am completely committed to nutrition and mindful eating now and my body thanks me for it (no vertigo in months!).



    I was recently writing about autumn and its bounty and I got hungry for root vegetables. Our farmers market starts in less than a month and I'm excited to see what all the farmers will have to offer. All kinds of carrots, turnips, parsnips, beets.

    What is better than a simple plate of olive oil roasted root vegetables with a touch of salt?



    When I saw this beautiful bunch of parsley root at Whole Foods, I immediately thought of the wonderful aroma of they would bring to a simple bowl of mashed potatoes. Coconut milk, olive oil, parsley and salt. That's all they needed. And some spicy shrimp with a touch of lime.

    For dessert, this quinoa pudding I make often times for breakfast (similar to this). Quinoa cooked with hemp milk, vanilla and just a touch of sugar. Then I cooked some plums en papillote with brown sugar, vanilla bean and lemon thyme leaves and served them over the quinoa. So simple, quick and delicious.



    Shrimp with Parsley Root and Potato Mash

    Makes enough for 2 people

    Bunch of parsley root (6 pieces), peeled and diced
    2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
    1 clove garlic
    3/4 cup coconut milk
    1-2 Tbs olive oil
    Parsley, chopped
    Salt

    8 large shrimp, peeled
    red pepper flakes, to taste
    salt
    2 Tbs olive oil
    Lime wedges


    In a medium pot, bring water to a boil. Season it with a generous amount of salt. Add the parsley root and cook for about 5 minutes. Then add the potatoes and cook for another 10-15 minutes until both tender. Drain.

    In the meantime, grate the garlic into the coconut milk and heat it gently (I do this in the microwave since it's such a small amount).

    After draining the potatoes and parsley root, mash them, add the warm coconut milk with the garlic, parsley, salt and add the olive oil. Adjust liquid and season it as needed.

    In the meantime, heat 1-2 Tbs of olive oil in a saute pan on medium-low heat. Add the red pepper flakes and infuse the olive oil for a minute. Season the shrimp with salt and cook them in the olive oil for 1 minute on each side.

    Serve the shrimp over the parsley root mash with more fresh parsley and lime wedges.

Post Title

An Easy and Quick Late Summer Lunch


Post URL

http://mercymadame.blogspot.com/2010/09/easy-and-quick-late-summer-lunch.html


Visit Merci Madame for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List