Caramelized Pineapple and Olive Oil Cake... and a Short Camping Trip



    As I mentioned on my last post, we were going to spend the weekend camping near Lake Okeechobee. The weather had been terrible all week with the usual summer afternoon thunderstorms. I wasn't completely sure that camping was going to be a good idea but we decided to be adventurous and see what was going to happen.

    We left on Friday after work. The skies were blue and scattered thunderstorms were forecasted for the weekend. We started driving west when I spotted some nasty looking clouds ahead of us. We could see lighting strike not too far from us and I started to really worry. Surely, a mile later, we were driving through the worst storm I have ever been through. Lighting, thunder, torrential rain, baby screaming in the back and we are towing a travel trailer. I was ready to turn around right then. This scenario lasted for about half an hour.



    When we arrived at the campground, it was not what we had expected. We were hoping for some thick, Florida wilderness, but this seemed like a mobile home park right next to the highway. I couldn't believe my eyes. The place looked abandoned. Not a soul. We tried to just forget about everything and headed for the pool. Rain started again. Ran for shelter and that's where we spent the rest of the evening.

    Saturday morning we had about an hour of pool fun but by mid morning the sky started to turn black again and I just couldn't spend another afternoon and evening inside a trailer in a concrete campground. So we left and never got to enjoy the cake I had made for this trip but I did manage to take a couple of photos of my little boy and his beloved trucks.



    This was a long story to tell you about this cake we never really got to enjoy while camping. It was an almond and olive oil sponge that I wanted to serve with grilled pineapple and a bit of cream. I love grilled fruit.

    I took these photos before we left since I knew I wouldn't be able to take decent photographs while camping. But not only that, we never ate it. When I made it at home, I caramelized the pineapple with a bit of demerara sugar. I was really looking forward to some grilled pineapple...

    Olive Oil Sponge
    Makes quarter sheetpan

    3 eggs
    110 grams sugar
    1 Tbs lemon zest
    100 grams olive oil (I used Arbequina)
    90 grams whole milk
    110 grams cake flour
    10 grams baking powder
    50 grams almond flour

    Pineapple rectangles
    Demerara sugar


    Whip the eggs, lemon zest and sugar to thick, ribbon stage. Slowly stream in the olive oil and the milk. Add the sifted flour, baking powder and almond flour and mix only until combined.

    Batter will be relatively thin. Pour the batter in sheetpan or individual molds and bake immediately in a 400F degree oven for about 10 minutes until slightly golden brown.

    Once the cake has cooled, cut rectangles. Cut pineapple rectangles that are the same size as the cake. Place the pineapple on top of the cake, sprinkle demerara sugar on top and burn it with a blow torch.

Post Title

Caramelized Pineapple and Olive Oil Cake... and a Short Camping Trip


Post URL

http://mercymadame.blogspot.com/2008/06/caramelized-pineapple-and-olive-oil.html


Visit Merci Madame for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List