Montblanc and the First Chestnuts of the Season



    This week we roasted the first chestnuts of the season. I have been feeling a bit under the weather and I needed something comforting and nothing says comfort like roasted chestnuts do. Besides, now that my parents are here, any excuse is a good one to cook, bake and snack. We are a bunch of non-stop grazers.




    Montblancs are popular in France, but I had never tasted one until my French chef asked me to make some for Christmas brunch a few years ago. I fell in love with the chestnut cream and ever since, I have made them every holiday season. Buttery and not overly sweet cream. I even eat it on bread as a snack when no one is looking.

    I built these on sable breton and inserted a mini chocolate mousse bombe in the center. Then the chestnut cream is piped on top with a special tip creating that spaghetti effect. How fun is that right?



    Chestnut Cream

    100 grams unsweetened chestnut puree
    100 grams chestnut paste or chestnut cream
    200 grams unsalted butter, softened
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 Tbs dark rum


    Cream together the chestnut puree and chestnut paste until smooth. Add the softened butter, vanilla extract and rum and mix. Press the cream through a fine sieve to remove any large chestnut puree chunks. Place the cream in a piping bag with a "spaghetti" tip and pipe the cream on top of the breton and chocolate mousse dome.

    This is best served slightly at room temperature so the chestnut cream doesn't harden too much.

    On another note, I am very flattered that Ez of Creature Comforts wanted to feature an interview with me in her blog. She is such an inspiration. Thank you Ez!

Post Title

Montblanc and the First Chestnuts of the Season


Post URL

http://mercymadame.blogspot.com/2008/11/montblanc-and-first-chestnuts-of-season.html


Visit Merci Madame for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List