Mini Peach and Pistachio Frangipane Tarts


    I have been in a mood for tarts lately. In a mood for fruit tarts I should say. It must be Spring and the warm temperatures that make me want to eat fruit and more fruit. Last week I spotted the first peaches of the season at Whole Foods. Well, the first California peaches I should say. They were still a bit small but they were still sweet and soft. I had to get them. I have been craving stone fruits for way too long now.

    My friend Jill pointed out the other day that I use a lot of pistachios. Yes, I do, I admit it. It's a habit I developed working for my last chef. We used pistachios in everything and now, I cannot help myself. They add such color, flavor and texture that I always find something to add them to. Here, I am using pistachios once again.

    These tarts have a base of sable breton, a layer of pistachio frangipane, fresh peaches and mascarpone cream. Frangipane is traditionally made with almonds but it can be made with any ground up nut. Full of butter and sugar, it just melts in your mouth when served slightly warm.




    Sable Breton

    Makes 20 4-inch circles

    160 grams sugar
    160 grams salted organic butter
    4 organic egg yolks
    zest of half an orange
    225 grams unbleached all purpose flour
    15 grams aluminum free baking powder

    In an electric mixer, cream the butter and the sugar together. Add the egg yolks and the orange zest. Add the flour and baking powder combined until it comes together. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let it rest in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.

    Roll out to about 1/2" thickness and cut 4" circles with a round cutter.

    Pistachio Frangipane

    100 grams organic unsalted butter, softened
    100 grams sugar
    1 organic egg
    30 grams unbleached all purpose flour
    100 grams raw pistachios, ground to a fine meal

    Cream the butter and the sugar together. Add the egg. Scrape and mix well. Add the flour and the ground pistachios and mix until all ingredients are well incorporated.

    Place the frangipane in a pastry bag. Insert the sable breton disks in your mold and pipe the frangipane on top of the unbaked sable breton (about 1/4 inch thick). Bake the sable and the frangipane in a 350 degree oven until golden brown. Remove from molds when cool.

    Mascarpone Cream

    100 grams organic heavy cream
    50 grams mascarpone cheese
    20 grams sugar

    Whip all ingredients together until stiff peaks form. Using a spoon dipped in hot water, make quenelles with the cream and place on top of the tart base. Place slices of fresh peach next to it. Sprinkle with some chopped pistachios.



    Stone fruits are here and you will see them on this blog!

Post Title

Mini Peach and Pistachio Frangipane Tarts


Post URL

http://mercymadame.blogspot.com/2008/05/mini-peach-and-pistachio-frangipane.html


Visit Merci Madame for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive