Raspberry Palmiers and Red Currant and Raspberry Swirl Ice Cream Sandwiches



    If you have been following my blog for quite some time, you might have noticed that I love laminated doughs. There is something about the whole process that I love, just like making bread. Not necessarily difficult, but it does require some attention, neatness and dedication.

    After I tried experimenting with the tomato pate feuilletee, I started thinking about other ways to incorporate flavors into the dough. I came back from Europe with a bag of raspberry powder and I have been trying to incorporate it into different recipes. I thought, puff pastry would be another great way.



    I followed the same pate feuilletee inversee recipe from Pierre Herme that I have been using and incorporated some of the raspberry powder into the butter lock. The final result was good, but I think I have to give it another try and perfect it. Once baked, the raspberry flavor was there but it was not intense enough for me. It was good, but I was hoping for me.



    I have been anxiously waiting for red currants all summer long. Unlike other berries, it is not a fruit I like to eat fresh. Really makes me pucker up. However, it is one of my favorites to bake with. Tarts, ice cream or sorbet, inside cakes, combining it with other fruit for jams... So versatile really that when I get my hands on some, I use them in everything. Literally, in everything.

    I decided to combine one of C.'s favorites, palmiers, with one of my favorites, red berry swirl ice cream. The perfect balance if you ask me.




    Raspberry Palmiers

    Follow the tomato pate feuilletee recipe but use 15 grams of raspberry powder instead of the tomato paste. As I said, I don't think it's enough, so you might want to increase it.

    Roll the pastry to 1/8"-1/16" thickness and cut a rectangle that is 16" wide by 9" high. Let the pastry rest in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes after rolling.

    Dust the work surface with sugar and press the pastry lightly against it. Sprinkle sugar on the top as well. Work quickly to prevent the pastry from getting warm.

    Fold the left edge to the middle and do the same with the right edge. Now, bring the folded left edge to the middle again and repeat with the right. This creates a fan-like log. Cut this log into 1/4" to 1/2" palmiers.

    Place these on a baking sheet and bake at 375F for 10 minutes. Flip the palmiers over and bake for another 7 minutes or so until they are slightly golden but not too brown.

    Raspberry and Red Currant Swirl Ice Cream

    500 ml whole milk
    140 ml heavy cream
    40 grams glucose
    150 grams sugar
    6 egg yolks
    100 grams raspberries
    75 grams red currants
    30 grams sugar


    Place the whole milk, heavy cream, glucose and half of the sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a light simmer.

    In the meantime, whisk together the egg yolks and remaining sugar in a medium bowl. Temper the hot liquid into the egg yolks. Return this custard to the pan and cook until it coats the back of the spoon or about 184F. Strain the custard through a fine sieve into a clean bowl. Chill it over an ice bath and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.

    In the meantime, cook the raspberries, red currants and sugar for about one minute until the fruit breaks down slightly and sugar dissolves. Strain the fruit through a fine sieve and chill this fruit syrup until ready to use.

    Churn the custard in the ice cream machine. When done, swirl in the red berry syrup, pour into container and freeze.

Post Title

Raspberry Palmiers and Red Currant and Raspberry Swirl Ice Cream Sandwiches


Post URL

http://mercymadame.blogspot.com/2009/07/raspberry-palmiers-and-red-currant-and.html


Visit Merci Madame for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List