Sweet Potato, Yogurt and Hazelnut Cakes



    Our little M. turns two weeks old today and our lives have forever changed. We have been spending a lot of time inside, nesting, enjoying the quiet time and resting when the little bean sleeps. I am so thankful to have my mom here to cook healthy meals for us. I don't know how I would do it without her, really.

    I also have to thank you all for all the wonderful comments and words you left for us in the last post. It's overwhelming and very, very touching. We really appreciate it.



    I slowly started baking again over the weekend, but at a much slower pace as the little one requires so much attention and needs to be nursed often. I had forgotten so much about this stage in a baby's life and I feel like I'm learning everything all over again. She is also a very different baby than J. was. Perhaps an easier baby? Or maybe I'm more relaxed about it all.



    I made these sweet potato, homemade yogurt and hazelnut cakes a week before M. arrived. I actually had to make them twice because the first time I made them, they disappeared so quickly that I had none to style and photograph. These were definitely a hit. Moist, crunchy and spicy. I even turned some into cupcakes with a simple mascarpone and mace icing.

    Right before the birth, I told you about my yogurt making craze. I made yogurt about every other day and enjoyed it in so many different ways like the maple and yogurt panna cotta, these sweet potato cakes or just plain with some caramelized apples and pistachio crumble. My kind of healthy and comforting snacks.



    Sweet Potato, Yogurt and Hazelnut Cakes

    300 grams sweet potato puree (from about 2-3 medium size sweet potatoes)
    100 grams brown sugar
    50 grams sugar
    3 eggs
    100 grams homemade yogurt (or whole milk store bought)
    100 grams vegetable oil
    Zest of half an orange
    160 grams flour
    40 grams hazelnut flour
    4 grams sea salt
    4 grams baking soda
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp ginger
    large pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
    130 grams hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
    30 grams hazelnuts, chopped for topping


    Place the sweet potatoes in a baking dish and bake at 400F for about 45 minutes to an hour until flesh is fork tender. Let them cool, cut them open and scoop out the flesh. Puree it.

    In a large bowl, combine the flour, hazelnut flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.

    In a separate bowl, whisk together the sweet potato puree, brown sugar, sugar, eggs, yogurt, oil and orange zest. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry and whisk until combined. It will be a runny batter. Fold in the toasted and chopped hazelnuts.

    Pour the batter in the molds (about 3/4 of the way full), sprinkle the top with chopped hazelnuts and bake at 350F until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Time will vary depending on the mold. For small loaf pans, about 22 minutes, the smaller individual molds about 17 minutes.



Post Title

Sweet Potato, Yogurt and Hazelnut Cakes


Post URL

http://mercymadame.blogspot.com/2009/11/sweet-potato-yogurt-and-hazelnut-cakes.html


Visit Merci Madame for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List