I Leave Them with Cookies and Milk



    Today I leave for France where I will be teaching a 4-day food styling and photography workshop in the dream-like background of the Dordogne region.

    Our workshop will be held at this amazing manoir. Can you guys believe this place? I cannot wait to swim in this pool. The weather is expected to be beautiful. We couldn't ask for better conditions.

    However, this is the first time I will be traveling without my babies. It will feel strange not to have them with me. "I want to come with you amatxu" Jon said to me this morning when I drove him to school. He will be quite the traveler one day.



    My parents are here taking care of the children while I'm away and C. works.

    I baked lots of goodies for them this week. Chocolate and apple muffins, rice and coconut milk puddings with sauteed apples, red currant shortbreads, and multigrain chocolate and hazelnut cookies with a touch of sea salt. I left some of the cookie dough in the freezer for this next week, in case there are unexpected cravings. Are cravings ever unexpected anyway?

    I promised them they could have cookies and milk everyday after school. It caused quite the excitement.



    So I am off for now.

    I will be back in a few days hopefully with photos from our workshop, Dordogne, and from a day in Paris.

    Be good and see you soon!

    Multigrain Chocolate and Hazelnut Cookies

    Makes 20 cookies

    2 oz (55 g) hazelnuts
    8 Tbs (110 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
    1/2 cup (110 g) light brown sugar
    1/4 cup (50 g) natural cane sugar
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 egg, room temperature
    3/4 cup (105 g) superfine brown rice flour
    1/4 cup (35 g) teff flour
    1/4 cup (35 g) quinoa flour
    1/4 cup (35 g) amaranth flour
    1/4 cup (30 g) tapioca starch
    3/4 tsp sea salt
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    3 oz (85 g) bittersweet chocolate, chopped (or mini chocolate chips)


    Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Bake the hazelnuts for 7 minutes. Remove them from oven and transfer them to a clean kitchen towel. Rub the hazelnuts against the towel to remove their skins. Let them cool and roughly chop them. Reserve.

    In the bowl of a stand mixer on medium high speed, mix the butter, brown sugar, and natural cane sugar with the paddle attachment until light, about 3 minutes. Add the vanilla extract and egg and mix until combined.

    Whisk together the superfine brown rice flour, teff flour, quinoa flour, amaranth flour, tapioca starch, salt, and baking soda. Add to the butter mixture. Mix on medium speed until dough comes together. Add the chopped hazelnuts and chocolate. Mix to combine.

    Transfer the dough to a sheet of parchment and roll into a log that is approximately 2 inches in diameter and 13 inches long. Chill the cookie dough for at least 1 hour.

    Preheat oven to 350F (180C).

    Cut the cookie dough into 1/2 inch disks. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment or silicon mat. Space them 2 inches apart. Bake for 12-13 minutes. Remove from oven and let them cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before picking them up.

    Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

    The dough can also be frozen tightly wrapped for up to 3 months.

Post Title

I Leave Them with Cookies and Milk


Post URL

http://mercymadame.blogspot.com/2011/09/i-leave-them-with-cookies-and-milk.html


Visit Merci Madame for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List