Clafoutis



    Custards are comfort food for me. Some people prefer cupcakes, cookies, brownies... Don't get me wrong, I love them too, but there's something about eggs, milk and sugar that I cannot get enough off. Creamy texture, hot or cold.



    I have been thinking about clafoutis. My supermarket has been carrying cherries for a few weeks now. They come from Chile. I'm always very outspoken and critical about buying fruits that come from so far away. They are picked too early, too expensive for what we get, waste too much gasoline, we need to support our local farmers, and so on. I want to be like Jamie Oliver in his new show. I want to wear wellies and pick my own cherries from my own garden, wash them in my outdoor sink and bake a cake with them in my outdoor wood-burning oven. I dream of that... Maybe one day.





    Today, I woke up with cherries on my mind again so I drove to the supermarket to buy Chilean cherries in the middle of February. But guess what? All the cherries were gone! I even called Whole Foods and Costco. That’s how crazy I was! I stopped and started laughing at myself. The seasonal fruit gods wanted to teach me a lesson… Don’t try to buy cherries in the middle of February!



    So I settled for some organic blackberries instead…



    Blackberry Clafoutis



    4 organic eggs

    1 cup (200 grams) sugar

    1 tsp vanilla extract

    1 Tbs kirsch

    1 ½ cups (375 grams) organic whole milk

    1 cup (135 grams) unbleached all purpose flour

    1 lb (454 grams) organic blackberries



    In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, kirsch and milk. In another bowl, place the flour. Add the liquids to the flour while whisking making sure that there are no lumps left. Place blackberries in 6 individual ramekins or in one large one. Pour custard over the blackberries. Bake at 350 until top golden brown. Dust with sifted powdered sugar and serve lukewarm.






    Even though I didn't have cherries, this clafoutis was still heaven!


Post Title

Clafoutis


Post URL

http://mercymadame.blogspot.com/2008/02/clafoutis.html


Visit Merci Madame for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List