Cooking with Mom, Thoughts about a New Year and a Crispy Mushroom, Potato and Blue Cheese Galette



    I cannot believe that this year will be coming to an end tomorrow. I was trying to make sense of everything that happened throughout the months and even though there was some bad in there, mostly health related, I would say 2009 was full of exciting projects, creativity, inspiration and time with family. I have always had difficulty balancing the time I spend on myself and the time I give to those around me, but I think this was the year that I managed to do that. I think I can say this year was that, the year of balance.

    Now, I am thinking about the upcoming year and all the projects I want to start and all the travel I want to do, but mostly, I have decided this will be the year that I let go of some of the anxiety and worry that comes with the unknown. I am just going to live a bit more.



    So let me get to the dish in hand. I have been dying to tell you about these crispy mushroom, fingerling potato and blue cheese galettes that my mom and I baked last week. We started the day with coffee and talking about the mushroom quiche my aunt was planning to bake for Christmas Eve back home. It sounded so delicious and made me think of the herb pie dough I had in the freezer. "I am pulling it out and we are making tarts", I told her.

    We sauteed some shiitake, cremini, oyster and beech mushroom with garlic and herbs until they were crispy. We decided to add some blue cheese, but the best came when mom suggested we fry some fingerlings in olive oil and add them to the filling. That touch made this galette. We enjoyed it with a simple watercress and herb salad and let me tell you, it was delicious. Everything always tastes better when cooking with my mom.



    So I hope you get to end the year with good food, surrounded by your loved ones, satisfied with what you have accomplished this year and with peace of mind. So here is to a new year where I plan to live more, worry less and continue doing what I love.

    And of course, thank you for your constant support and coming back over and over to visit. This blog would not be the same without all of you. Thank you. I mean it.



    Crispy Mushroom, Potato and Blue Cheese Galette

    1 recipe herb pie dough
    2 Tbs olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    3 oz oyster mushrooms, sliced
    2 oz beech mushrooms
    2 oz shiitake mushrooms, sliced
    3 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
    2 Tbs rosemary
    2 Tbs purple basil
    1 Tbs thyme
    salt and pepper
    1/4 cup olive oil
    6 oz fingerling potatoes, peeled and diced
    1/2 oz blue cheese


    In a large sautepan, heat olive oil and saute the garlic and mushrooms in medium heat until tender and slightly crispy. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Add the herbs and toss for a few seconds. Remove the pan from the heat and let the mushrooms cool.

    In another sautepan, heat the 1/4 cup of olive oil and fry the potatoes until crispy. Transfer onto a paper towel and lightly season with salt and pepper. Let the potatoes cool.

    Roll out the herb pie dough and cut into disks that are about 5-6" in diameter. Place some of the cooled mushrooms and potatoes in the center on the disk. Add some crumbled blue cheese. Fold the edges of the pie dough over the filling. let the galettes harden in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes. This will allow the dough to keep its shape while baking.

    Bake in a 425F oven for about 25-30 minutes until golden brown and the bottom of the galette is cooked.

    Serve with a salad of watercress and herbs.



Post Title

Cooking with Mom, Thoughts about a New Year and a Crispy Mushroom, Potato and Blue Cheese Galette


Post URL

http://mercymadame.blogspot.com/2009/12/cooking-with-mom-thoughts-about-new.html


Visit Merci Madame for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List