Cinnamon, Rice and Graham Cracker Ice Cream

    Arroz Con Leche Ice Cream Quenelle

    When I started this blog back in January, rice pudding or arroz con leche was one of the first desserts I made. I absolutely love it. It really describes my childhood memories and to this day, we eat it about once a week in my house. That's what we call comfort food.

    I have been wanting to make an ice cream with those exact flavors for a while because if you know me at all, you know I'm an ice cream junkie. I went through a very obsessive period in which I really wanted to find the perfect rice pudding ice cream recipe. I tried several cookbook recipes, some from magazine clippings, made up my own... but none worked.

    This past weekend, I decided to start from zero using my basic vanilla ice cream recipe and introduce the rice pudding cooking method into it. Surprisingly, I got it right the first time I tried. I thought the easiest way was to cook part of the liquid in the recipe with the rice and some sugar. This will add starchiness and caramelization to the basic ice cream recipe. I chose to discard the rice for texture reasons thinking that it might become too gummy after frozen but next time I make it, I will leave it in to see what happens.

    The ice cream was gone in about 2 hours after I took it out of the ice cream machine. We devoured it!

    Quenelle melting in the afternoon sun



    Arroz Con Leche Ice Cream

    500 grams organic whole milk
    25 grams arborio or valencia rice
    25 grams sugar
    1 cinnamon stick
    1/4 tsp sea salt
    500 grams organic heavy cream
    100 grams organic egg yolks
    75 grams sugar
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    25 grams all natural cinnamon graham crackers, crumbled


    In a small saucepan, cook the milk, 25 grams of sugar, rice, cinnamon stick and salt. Simmer in medium-low heat for about 20 minutes. Strain the milk through a sieve and discard the cooked rice and the cinnamon stick. We want to have 350 grams of the cooked milk. If you have reduced it too much, add enough fresh milk to get those 350 grams we need but try to be as close to it as possible to avoid diluting the milk too much and to obtain the most flavor.

    In a medium saucepan, boil the heavy cream with the cooked milk. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar. Temper the cream into the yolks. Whisk until well combined. Return this custard back to saucepan and cook for another minute (if you want to be completely sure, you can use a thermometer and cook to 84 degrees Celsius).

    Strain the ice cream base through a fine sieve, add the ground cinnamon and cool down over an ice bath. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.

    Churn it in the ice cream machine. Right before the ice cream is done, add the crumbled graham crackers and stir. Freeze until hardens.

Post Title

Cinnamon, Rice and Graham Cracker Ice Cream


Post URL

http://mercymadame.blogspot.com/2008/03/cinnamon-rice-and-graham-cracker-ice.html


Visit Merci Madame for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive