Strawberry, Rhubarb and Yogurt Cupcakes


    If you remember my rhubarb and strawberry tarts from a couple of weeks ago, this recipe will look familiar. I used the rhubarb I poached that day to fill these strawberry and yogurt cupcakes I wanted to make for "Cupcake Spectacular" hosted by HomemadeS.

    I was excited to make this new cupcake recipe that I have been working on for a while. It is very moist and "fondant-y" (Don't worry you will not be able to find fondant-y in the dictionary but I hope you understand what I mean). I used homemade yogurt. It doesn't really develop a tall dome but let me tell you, it is very, very good!

    My mom used to make yogurt pound cake when I was little. A cup of flour, a cup of sugar, a cup of yogurt, a cup of olive oil... She measured everything in the empty yogurt container she used for the recipe. It didn't have any icing or powdered sugar or glaze... It was just moist and full of goodness all by itself. Simple, simple, simple.

    I have to admit that I have not made many variations of cupcakes but I love how they have evolved into almost a plated dessert with different components, textures, flavor combinations. Just like many of you, I am addicted to Cupcake Bakeshop. She delivers the most beautiful, unusual and inspiring cupcakes every time. So mine are nowhere near that but I'm happy with the outcome and so was my family! You can really taste the strawberries in the cake and the icing and the poached rhubarb in the middle adds a touch of tartness and sweetness that works great. I even used the liquid where I cooked the rhubarb to make a little rhubarb jelly to top the cupcakes with.




    Strawberry and Yogurt Cupcakes with Poached Rhubarb and Cream Cheese, Yogurt and Strawberry Icing

    Strawberry Yogurt Cupcake

    Makes a dozen cupcakes

    170 grams organic butter
    300 grams sugar
    2 organic eggs
    1 tsp organic vanilla extract
    150 grams homemade yogurt or store-bought organic whole milk yogurt
    70 grams organic strawberries, pureed
    180 grams unbleached all purpose flour
    4 grams aluminum free baking powder


    Cream the butter and the sugar together. Add the eggs one at a time. Scrape the bowl and mix well. Add the vanilla extract, the yogurt and the strawberry puree. I don’t like to strain the strawberries after I puree them because I like the chunks in the cake.
    In a separate bowl, mix the flour and the baking powder and finally add this to the wet ingredients. Mix until combined.

    Scoop the batter into the cupcake papers and bake at 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes.

    Strawberry, Yogurt and Cream Cheese Icing

    8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
    4 oz organic unsalted butter, room temperature
    5 oz powdered sugar
    1.5 oz homemade yogurt or store-bought whole milk yogurt
    1 oz organic strawberries, pureed and strained


    Cream the cream cheese, butter and powdered sugar together until all the lumps have disappeared and we have a smooth cream. Add the yogurt and the strawberry puree. I like to strain the puree for the icing just because I like it smooth.

    Rhubarb Jelly

    200 ml rhubarb cooking liquid, cold
    1 envelope of powdered gelatin

    In a bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over the cooking liquid. Let it sit and bloom for 5 minutes. Place it over a double boiler and melt the gelatin. Pour it in a small cake ring up to 1/4 inch high. Refrigerate until it sets and cut different shapes with small aspic cutters.

    Assemble the Cupcakes

    Cut out a quarter size piece out of the tops of the cupcakes and fill with the poached rhubarb. Cover it with the piece of cake and pipe the strawberry icing on top. Place a rhubarb jelly circle on top.





    Happy, happy, happy!!!

Post Title

Strawberry, Rhubarb and Yogurt Cupcakes


Post URL

http://mercymadame.blogspot.com/2008/03/strawberry-rhubarb-and-yogurt-cupcakes.html


Visit Merci Madame for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive